INA Signs Joint Statement for Right to Repair
Home > Automotive > News Article

INA Signs Joint Statement for Right to Repair

Photo by:   NoName 13
Share it!
Rodrigo Andrade By Rodrigo Andrade | Journalist & Industry Analyst - Fri, 03/10/2023 - 11:25

Mexico’s National Auto Parts Industry (INA) association has added its voice to that of international automotive organizations in calling for legislation that would guarantee the right to repair. The association signed a joint statement promoting the right to repair, a concept that emerges in response to the moves of some automakers to hinder the user’s ability to repair their vehicles as they see fit. 

INA says this legislation is critical for the future of the automotive parts and service industry, which keeps 1.5 billion vehicles on the road and contributes US$1.8 trillion to the global economy. The joint statement has been signed by numerous automotive organizations, including the Automotive Industries Association of Canada, the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association, the European Garage Equipment Association and the Automotive Component Manufacturers Association of India, among many others. 

The statement outlines the fundamental principles, objectives and expected outcomes of the right to repair movement, including the ten best practice principles for developing a legislative framework that countries can adapt to their convenience. The document addresses equal access, telematics, pass thru, subscription terms, fair market price, real time access, accountability, circumvention, operations and transparency.

According to INA, independent repair shops perform 70% of repairs once vehicles are out of warranty. However, the organization says that the automakers are increasingly blocking access to vehicle repair and maintenance, which represents a threat to the voice of consumers, especially those in suburban and rural communities that will have limited access to affordable vehicle service and repair.

In Mexico, the value of the aftermarket sector neared US$30 billion in 2022 and is made up of around 240,000 economic units, of which 72% of them are repair, body and paint stores, while the other 28% are wholesale and retail spare parts outlets. Additionally, the country’s vehicle fleet currently consists of 33.9 million vehicles with an average age of 15 years. 

The organization highlights that countries like Australia and South Africa have already obtained the right for their drivers to repair their vehicles, which INA says is “setting an example for similar legislation in Mexico.”

The automotive aftermarket sector has adapted to the significant shifts in vehicle technology over the last century. However, it is now grappling with the car’s transformation into a major data producer, giving rise to questions about data ownership and usage and how it will impact vehicle maintenance.

“The independent aftermarket, along with consumers, demands the right to choose where their vehicles are repaired, what products to use and a fair marketplace. If service professionals in the aftermarket do not have access to the vehicle data, they will not be able to do necessary repairs,” says Ben Brucato, Vice President, Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), to MBN.

Photo by:   NoName 13

You May Like

Most popular