Humberto García
CEO
Start Service
/
View from the Top

Thermoplastics Can Help Prevent Environmental Pollution

By Alejandro Enríquez | Tue, 10/20/2020 - 05:00

Q: What role does the automotive industry play within Start Service’s operations?

A: Start Service’s portfolio targets a unique market niche. There are few companies that handle specialized thermoplastics in the country. These materials are not manufactured in the country. All the materials are imported from Austria, Germany and Italy, mostly. Polypropylene, polyethylene and PVDF are some examples. Start Service is celebrating 17 years in the market as a 100 percent Mexican company, with Mexican technical capacity to perform certified thermofusion operations. The automotive and aerospace industries represent 90 percent of our portfolio, while the remaining 10 percent is focused on mining and pharmaceuticals.

The essential element behind our success in the automotive sector has been our service. We always provide our solutions as scheduled and to the highest quality. We maintain adequate inventory levels so we can supply the industry at all times. For Mexican companies aiming to ramp up their operations in the country, I would say, carry on. If a company has a strong value proposition, the enthusiasm to make things happen and clear goals, they will eventually get there.

Q: How does Start Service help companies achieve their sustainability goals?

A: After more than 28 years of experiences in the plastic industry, I have seen some companies just throw their residue into the river without a second thought. Fortunately, the government has worked on the matter and has enforced norms that has forced companies to install water treatment plants.

Start Service provides solutions that help prevent air and soil pollution. One of the major advantages we offer to the industry is the design and installation of gas scrubbing systems. Our customers are those that manufacture auto parts using electroplating processes, which produce corrosive gases. We design all our scrubbing systems so residue is contained and then sent to a water treatment plant. We are pushing for companies to comply with PROFEPA’s environmental regulations regarding gasses and liquids.

We do have other systems that help prevent the polluting of phreatic mantles. Acids and bases used in thermofusion processes can be very corrosive and if there is a spill in the plant, those products can reach the subsoil. We manufacture the tanks and rectifiers needed in electroplating processes. Although plastic degradation remains an issue, thermoplastics have an advantage as they are less corrosive over time. A concrete tank covered by a thermoplastic can last for more than 25 years, provided that companies are not polluting subsoils. Metallic materials in these circumstances are not useful for these processes as they are more corrosive.

Q: How did the COVID-19 pandemic affect Start Service?

A: The automotive industry in the Bajio is slowly restarting but these past three months have been really complicated. As a company, we have kept everyone on board as we look at ourselves as a family, but conditions will remain difficult, nonetheless. In the post-COVID-19 world, home office will prevail. Everything will be managed through social networks and digital channels. We are making it easier for our customers to check our inventory and order different kinds of products or materials. This will help to speed things up.

Q: What are your strategies to ensure healthy results by the end of 2020?

A: Our top priority is to provide strong customer service by attending the needs of our current customer base. We are also innovating. We are focusing on adapting new technologies and replicating them in the industry. In addition, we also aim to grow our market presence because we believe there are many potential customers out there.

Within five years, I see Start Service as a market leader in providing corrosive solutions across the automotive, aerospace, mining and pharmaceutical sectors. There are technologies from Europe that we are already importing and that can offer major advantages to our customers.

 

Start Service is a Mexican company based in Queretaro with 17 years of experience in thermoplastic corrosive solutions. Ninety percent of the company’s portfolio is focused on the automotive and aerospace sectors

Alejandro Enríquez Alejandro Enríquez Journalist and Industry Analyst

MORE BY THE AUTHOR

Logistics
by Alejandro Enríquez
Automotive
by Alejandro Enríquez
Automotive
by Alejandro Enríquez
Automotive
by Alejandro Enríquez
Automotive
by Alejandro Enríquez
Automotive
by Alejandro Enríquez
Automotive
by Alejandro Enríquez