Benjamín Santa María
CEO and Co-Founder
Reversso
/
View from the Top

Return Logistics Require Mutual Trust Between Buyer, Seller

By Antonio Gozain | Thu, 08/25/2022 - 12:00

Q: Why is it important for retailers to offer an easy return experience to their customers?

A: Allowing clients to return unwanted merchandise is important to build a trust-based relationship with clients. When a brand makes this service available to potential consumers, it can foster a long-term relationship and add a larger lifetime value for both itself and for the customer.

Q: How does Reversso facilitate the return process for both companies and consumers?

A: Returns were previously considered an optional part of the logistics process but brands are turning toward more customer-centric services. This new vision is one of the main reasons brands are beginning to use Reversso, which makes the entire aftermarket a self-managed, automatic process. Reversso makes the entire return process more seamless for customers, leading to a better relationship with the brand. This service allows brands to focus on their core business, which is selling and delivering products.

Q: What are the key points for successful reverse logistics?

A: Communication is key. The customer can become frustrated and anxious when returning a product, especially if they do not have access to a transparent process that helps them understand what is happening. These frustrations will keep growing and the only way to solve them is effective communication, while the technological infrastructure provides the right tools for the job. We have a transparent and coordinated process that ensures pick-up times are precise and go hand in hand with the onboarding logistics.

Q: How did the idea for Reversso start and how has it evolved through the years?

A: It started in 2019, when I was in charge of deploying the new customer experience strategy at Levi’s in Santiago, Chile. Back then, we were unable to provide great experiences to customers because we lacked the tools to do so. Reversso aimed to fill this gap in the retail sector that is even more pronounced in the e-commerce sector.

The COVID-19 pandemic greatly changed our model. We were focusing on making the last-mile process more efficient, like a traditional logistics company. But the pandemic helped us to change models and build software that automates all necessary processes.

Q: How do you collaborate with other companies in the e-commerce ecosystem and how do you plan to continue growing?

A: We ally with e-commerce platforms, reverse logistics businesses and payment gateways. These are our three critical points and we align them to simplify the return process for brands and customers. We started operations in Chile but we are expanding. Mexico has become our main target because it is a large market opportunity.

We already solved the return problem and will now focus on delivering an extraordinary experience for customers by enhancing our technology, algorithms and automations.

Q: What are the marketing strategies that the company is implementing to attract clients?

A: We picture the e-commerce industry as a large chain and make Reversso more efficient and flexible so it can adapt to the entire chain. By making strategic alliances with other suppliers and adapting to their processes, we can create better relationships than if we tried to disrupt and challenge all major businesses.

Q: What common mistakes do companies make when writing or designing return clauses?

A: If a return policy is similar to a contract, it can intimidate customers. Policies have to be simple and communicate information clearly, while simultaneously showing customers they are trusted. If the policy includes protections for every possible unlikely scenario, customers will likely run away from the website.  

Only 3 percent of the returned products are delivered in bad shape, so businesses have to be able to take that leap of faith and trust their customers. In the other 97 percent of cases, customers are honest and they do not need to pay for those that are trying to take advantage of the e-commerce model.

 

Reversso provides software to manage merchandise returns for retail brands, offering an agile, automatic, customized and simple service.

Antonio Gozain Antonio Gozain Journalist and Industry Analyst