Image credits: Michael Schwarzenberger from Pixabay
/
News Article

Envision and Vive Energía’s 90MW Wind Farm Yields Success

By Cas Biekmann | Fri, 07/31/2020 - 09:01

Chinese wind turbine giant Envision and its partner Vive Energía announced that their 90MW wind farm located in Yucatan has started operations. The project is tied to two PPAs that the companies won in the first two long-term energy auctions, reported Renewables Now. In an earlier interview with MBN, Vive Energía’s Director General Benigno Villareal outlined the reasons behind the company’s success in the Peninsula.

The farm, called Eolica Renovable De La Peninsula, boasts 36 turbines and will supply over 300 GWh annually to the Mexican grid, as part of the PPAs stemming from the auctions. Envision and Vive Energía further contracted construction and engineering group ACS Actividades de Construccion y Servicios. Envision also signed a 10-year service agreement. Through this contract, the company will provide the project with various on-site services, smart monitoring and control measures, as well as predictive maintenance.

In an interview with MBN, Vive Energía’s Director General Benigno Villareal said the company had recently also interconnected another 70MW legacy-project, which had been commissioned in late 2018. Developing projects in Yucatan are not without hurdles, Villareal said. “Of all the companies that won contracts in the auctions, 65 percent have not been able to start construction. The other 35 percent are either under construction or operating.” This despite that all these companies had signed PPAs and other binding contracts. Villareal argues that social issues are at the heart of this, as they lead to legal problems putting the social license at risk. His company’s social approach has therefore been key in unlocking every single project it had started on the Peninsula. “We achieved this because we prioritize the company’s sustainability considerations. We have a sustainability direction which conforms our largest department, both in budget and human resources. This department is divided in two areas, environmental and social sustainability, each with its own department head and teams,” Villareal explained. Even taking simple steps like making projects available on Facebook for communities to communicate have had positive results.

The data used in this article was sourced from:  
Renewables Now, MBN
Cas Biekmann Cas Biekmann Journalist and Industry Analyst