Renewable Energy an Opportunity for Mexico’s Social Development
STORY INLINE POST
The economy is highly dependent on its energy supply. When energy is limited, it restricts our social and personal progress. Our daily lives have become unimaginable without electricity. From the use of household appliances to the technology we employ to stay connected during daily productive activities, energy is the pillar that drives us.
As we recognize the basic necessity of energy for our daily lives, we also must understand the relevance of its origin. Depending on its source, energy generation creates both positive and negative impacts on both society and the environment. Climate change is advancing rapidly. Therefore, moving away from fossil fuels is a crucial need.
Choosing clean energy allows us to progress the energy transition that the world demands and contributes to the building of a more sustainable future. In addition, clean energy represents an opportunity to boost Mexico's social development.
Let us discuss some of the opportunities for the renewable energy generation value chain:
- Renewable power plants are built faster and provide quick, efficient energy. Our Villanueva plant, the largest solar power plant in Mexico and Enel's largest solar project in the world, is a worthy example: it took only one year to build. Since then, we have generated more than 2,000GWh/y and avoided the emission of around 1 million tons of CO2, thanks to the over 2.5 million panels we constructed since 2018. This translates to a major global energy contribution and an active effort to care for the environment.
- More cost-effective and sustainable energy prices for businesses. According to a new report from the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), 62 percent of the total renewable energy generation added in 2020 featured lower costs than the cheapest fossil fuel option available.
- Design of infrastructure projects with minimal impact on the environment. At Enel, we build our plants under the Sustainable Construction Site and ARRC (Avoid, Reduce, Restore and Compensate) models, which allow us to significantly reduce the environmental impact on the ecosystems where we operate.
- Commitment to local communities. Enel Group firmly believes that the growth of our business must be aligned with the growth of all our stakeholders. Therefore, we operate under the principle of Creating Shared Value (CSV), with the purpose of strengthening the communities near our power plants. At the same time, we ensure that our projects are aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Employment creation. IRENA's "Energy and Jobs Report for 2020" estimates that around 12 million people are employed in the renewable energy sector. The report also shows an increasing trend in this number in years to come. With the construction of each renewable energy plant, new jobs are created throughout all stages of the project, from design and construction to operations and maintenance.
These are just a few examples of the opportunities offered by the progress of renewable energy, which has proven to bring ever more benefits. At Enel Mexico, we are committed to continuing our advance toward innovation, social development and care for the planet, all to effectively contribute to a more sustainable future for everyone.