Patrick Troop
Managing Director
Pharma Tycsa
/
View from the Top

Good Mixing Practices Improve Treatment Effectiveness

Thu, 11/29/2018 - 16:18

Q: How has Pharma Tycsa’s Clinical Breast Integral Service evolved since 2016?
A: COFEPRIS establishes the minimum requirements for preparation and dispensing of nutritional and medicinal sterile mixtures in NOM-249. At the moment, there are 25 mixing centers that comply with COFEPRIS’ regulations in four states and 19 belong to the same company. This means most health institutions are mixing components outside the norm, threatening patient safety, especially among those receiving oncological treatment.
Pharma Tycsa created a service to improve compounding practices through the construction of mixing centers in facilities providing oncological treatments. The company started providing this service at breast cancer clinics but today caters to all oncological areas. Our compounding centers ensure compliance with safety standards to lower contamination risks and increase treatment effectiveness. In most cases, patients with cancer die from side effects and not precisely from cancer. Thanks to our solution, we can guarantee patients are not exposed to contamination that could be fatal.
Q: What recommendations would you give to health authorities regarding the low concentration of mixing centers?
A: The Mexican norm is more demanding than most international regulations. The first step should be to align the Mexican norm with international standards and, secondly, to incentivize the use of hard data to evaluate existing compounding centers homogeneously. This would provide greater certainty regarding the performance of all mixing centers and a more measurable improvement opportunity for each. For example, Pharma Tycsa built and equipped its laboratory in four months but going through the regulatory red tape took two years. Working with international standards, objective and not subjective indicators, could simplify this process without compromising quality and help provide patients with better and safer oncological treatments.
Q: Why is Pharma Tycsa the ideal partner for laboratories?
A: Around 60 percent of our sales focus on multinational laboratories while the remaining 40 percent are oriented to national laboratories. Pharma Tycsa is an attractive partner for laboratories because it can guarantee product safety and ensure patients receive their treatments in optimal conditions. Most oncological treatments require a controlled temperature environment and cold chain logistics. Pharma Tycsa is involved in the whole process, ensuring appropriate treatment transportation as well as optimal conditions for mixing the compound. Our philosophy is that safety involves everything from manufacturing, transportation and mixing to the moment of application.
Q: What are the advantages of a laboratory working with a compounding center?
A: The final stage of the treatment chain takes place at infusion centers where patients receive chemotherapy, for example. Pharma Tycsa created a new service that efficiently connects laboratories with infusion centers through compounding centers. Though infusion centers have standards regulated by COFEPRIS, Pharma Tycsa observed that most do not comply with regulations related to the mixing of treatments. Through its new solution, Pharma Tycsa ensures regulatory continuity, safety and treatment effectiveness from the laboratory to the infusion center.
 Q: What are Pharma Tycsa’s growth expectations for 2019?
A: In 2016, Pharma Tycsa achieved its goal of incorporating its services at oncological hospitals and expanding its clinical Pharmacy Integral Service, a process that continued in 2017. For 2018-2019 the company has three main goals: promotion and construction of compounding centers across the country, development of health attention schemes for chronic degenerative diseases and consolidation of our traditional treatment distribution channels for the public sector. Pharma Tycsa is also working individually and with laboratories in the development of treatments for diabetes, hypertension and obesity.