Fausto García
Director General
Hospital María José Roma
/
Insight

New Health Model Based on Collaboration

Thu, 12/20/2018 - 09:36

Mexico’s epidemiological challenges and aging population are surpassing hospital infrastructure, gradually increasing the strain on health and social security systems, according to Fausto García, Director General of Hospital María José Roma. “Our country is no exception,” he says. “Greater life expectancy and a decrease in fertility will prompt the emergence of chronic-degenerative diseases and other conditions.”
The UN’s World Population Prospects Report says the elderly population globally grew at a 1.5 percent annual rate until 2015. By 2050, the rate will be around 3.4 percent. Data from the National Commission for the Retirement Savings System (CONSAR) shows there is a similar trend in Mexico. Until 2015, the population aged 60 and over grew by more than 1.7 percent and for 2050, the rate will be close to 5.6 percent.
Under such conditions, high out-of-pocket health spending and a growing population living in poverty conditions will have an impact on the growth of the health sector. García says around 20 percent of Hospital María José Roma’s patients come from insurance partnerships with MetLife, AXA, Banorte, BX+ and Seguros Monterrey. The remaining 80 percent comes from out-of-pocket patients. “It is very difficult to grow in these conditions because hospitals must increase employee salaries while maintaining stable prices, or risk impacting patients without the liquidity to afford them,” he says. “Increasing prices would cause the hospital to stagnate.”
García believes the hospital’s development strategy provides greater opportunity to generate revenue before requiring price increases. “Providing more services will attract more clients,” he says. The hospital recently added hemodynamics, hemodialysis and topographies to its portfolio and its goal is to ramp up operations by boosting investment in state-of-the-art technology and highly qualified professionals.