Chihuahua Boasts of New Airport, Enhanced Infrastructure
Home > Infrastructure > News Article

Chihuahua Boasts of New Airport, Enhanced Infrastructure

Photo by:   Galyna_Andrushko
Share it!
Adriana Alarcón By Adriana Alarcón | Journalist & Industry Analyst - Tue, 07/25/2023 - 11:34

Mexico's Minister of Tourism, Miguel Torruco Marqués, inaugurated the Barrancas del Cobre Airport, Chihuahua, which will help enhance connectivity, infrastructure and investments in the region. During a tour of the state, Torruco highlighted the joint efforts of the federal and state governments to leverage tourism as a tool for economic growth.

Torruco inaugurated the Barrancas del Cobre Airport as part of his tour of Chihuahua. The airport has been in the works for almost ten years and involved an investment of MX$858 million (US$50.9 million). About 57% of this investment, MX$489 million (US$29 million), came from federal resources while the other 43% came from state resources. 

This airport connects Creel, Chihuahua, with several prominent destinations within Mexico and the US. Mexican destinations include Los Cabos, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Monterrey and Mexico City, while international destinations include Tucson, El Paso, Phoenix, Dallas and Houston. This offer will contribute to diversifying the touristic activity of the state, benefiting the local population in compliance with President Andrés Manuel López Obrador's instruction to make tourism a tool for social reconciliation. The airport is expected to start operations in October 2023.

During his visit to Creel, Torruco announced the city’s designation as a Pueblo Mágico and unveiled the "Rutas Mágicas de Color" program, a collaboration between federal and state tourism departments. Through this initiative, 140 house facades and 20 artistic murals will be painted on 600m2.

The minister also announced the delivery of a tourist assistance vehicle at Ángeles Verdes, and the federal and state governments are in the works to acquire 22 more vehicles. Torruco pointed out that this unit will cover the new Creel-Batopilas route, which has been open since the beginning of this summer vacation period. The state has a series of vehicles assisting over 3,000 tourists per year, providing 1,200 services over about 160,689km.

Photo by:   Galyna_Andrushko

You May Like

Most popular