Image credits: El Sol de México, FONATUR
Weekly Roundups

Residents Will Move for Mayan Train

By Pedro Alcalá | Thu, 04/09/2020 - 10:42

A survey conducted by UN-Habitat reveals that up to 84 percent of communities polled where the Mayan Train is expected to run have agreed to move out and settle elsewhere if the project calls for it. The remaining 16 percent expresses their lack of conformity with the project. UN-Habitat has contacted communities in the state of Campeche since February, especially in the neighborhoods of Camino Real, Santa Lucia and Bellavista. 

Ready for more? Here’s the Week in Infrastructure!

States Define Infrastructure Delays

Latest reports indicate that Tamaulipas and other states have decided to pause all their infrastructure developments even if it means pushing back previously set delivery dates with contractors. Meanwhile, Queretaro and other states have decided to push ahead by sending contractors letters emphasizing they will continue to be held responsible for the timely delivery of their infrastructure projects. 

Decree Defines Infrastructure Projects as Essential

The federal government published an annex to the sanitary emergency agreement which dictates what economic activities are to be considered essential and excluded from COVID-19 shutdown measures. It includes cement, steel and glass production and supply, particularly if they serve the needs of PEMEX, CFE, the Santa Lucia airport, the Mayan Train, the Transisthmic Corridor or the Dos Bocas refinery. Other exceptions include delivery, e-commerce and IT companies involved in the maintenance of online government platforms, along with any company that offers services of maintenance and repairs to any public entities. 

Highway Checkpoints Increase

More states have set up an increasing number of highway roadblocks and checkpoints to detect   COVID-19 symptoms and to motivate a reduction in travel activities by reminding commuters to stay at home as much as possible. Border states such as Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas and Coahuila have also implemented revision points to monitor all migration from the US and make sure that no positive COVID-19 cases are entering the country.  

Mexico City’s Infrastructure Is Sufficient Only for Its Citizens: Vital

In an interview with ContraRéplica, Doctor José Antonio Vital of the Health Workers and Public Employees Alliance, explained that medical infrastructure in Mexico City is technically sufficient to serve its citizens but localized resources have made the city the only available destination for those outside the city that seek medical assistance. As a result, this will saturate the city’s medical infrastructure. 

The data used in this article was sourced from:  
MBN, El Sol de México, ContraRéplica
Pedro Alcalá Pedro Alcalá Senior Journalist & Industry Analyst