Image credits: Fancy Crave
/
News Article

SICT to Expropriate Land for Suburban Train to AIFA

By Fernando Mares | Tue, 07/19/2022 - 14:21

The federal government announced it will expropriate land in the Tultitlan and Tultepec municipalities in the State of Mexico, with the aim to restart the construction of the cargo operation area of the Suburban Train’s expansion to Felipe Angeles International Airport (AIFA). The works have been delayed due to protests from locals and problems with the Right of Way.

The Minister of Infrastructure, Communications and Transportation (SICT) announced the expropriation of 5.2ha of land in Tultitlan and Tultepec on Jul. 15, 2022. The ministry issued the declaration of public utility for the required land. According to SICT, the land is essential for the construction, conservation and maintenance of the cargo operation area, a fundamental part of the expansion of the Suburban Train that is to connect the Lecheria station with AIFA.  

On July 5, 2022, MBN reported that the project was audited by the Superior Auditor of the Federation (ASF), which discovered possible resource mishandling and deficient planning. ASF also reported that SICT had not submitted the Right of Way for the cargo operation area, which had by then caused a delay of 120 days. SICT reported to ASF that it already held the rights of 60 percent of the land but for the remaining 40 percent it had started a property expropriation process in September 2021. However, this process was delayed because some landowners could not prove their land ownership. SICT stated that it would continue with the expropriation process, which took place on Friday.

According to the expropriation declaration, “those interested will have a period of 15 business days from being notified or since the document if published on the Federal Official Gazette (DOF) for the second time, to state before SICT what may convene to their rights and to present relevant evidence”. 

The expansion project, developed by Constructiones y Maquinaria SEF, has an estimated cost of US$11.4 million. The contract signed between the company and SICT expires on Nov. 7, 2022. It is expected that the 23km railroad for the expansion project will be finished by the end of 1H23. Nevertheless, although military engineers have already finished 8km and the terminal of AIFA’s station, the project reported only 21 percent of progress in June 2022. 

The Suburban Train’s Line 1 expansion aims to reduce transportation times and costs for those traveling to AIFA. It will cross the Tultitlan, Nextlalpan, Tultepec, Zumpango and Tecamac municipalities. Overall, the project will have four vehicular overpasses, two railway viaducts, a new railway bridge with four rails and include the restoration of an already existing railway bridge.
 

The data used in this article was sourced from:  
MBN, El Economista, La Jornada
Photo by:   Fancy Crave
Fernando Mares Fernando Mares Junior Journalist and Industry Analyst