Image credits: Natalya Letunova
/
News Article

Veracruz to Develop Port for Offshore Energy Sector

By Fernando Mares | Fri, 07/29/2022 - 15:20

After years of planning, an important port for the offshore oil and gas sector is set to be constructed in Veracruz, aiming to take advantage of the state’s privileged location in the Gulf of Mexico and to become a benchmark regarding high-tech seaports in Mexico. 

The local Minister of Economic and Port Development (SDEP) has been planning the project and considered the Alvarado terminal as a strategic point to develop it, relying on both the public and the private sector to do so. The project remained suspended until 2020, when Ricardo Oseguera, Founder, Industrial Park FIPASI, resumed the project. 

Veracruz’s Port System (SPV) launched the project this year, which according to its estimations will require an investment of over US$275.8 million, with 70 percent will come from the private sector and the remaining 30 percent from the public sector. The project will be managed as partial rights and obligations agreement and SPV will launch an international public tender for it. 

The port consists of the development of a 52.1ha area enabling seven marginal wharfs with a total length of 1.1km and a width of 20m, as well as three jetties of 150m in length and 20m in width. The whole structure is expected to have a capacity for ships of 81.3m in length and 16m for their beam. The project also involves the construction of sections for containers, fluids, general cargo, dockyards, cargo and loading yards, as well as storage areas. 

The project is expected to become a strategic logistical port that will offer different services to offshore companies, especially those involved in the oil and gas industry. Currently, the port is in the pre-project feasibility studies phase. 

According to SPV, the Alvarado Port aims to become the benchmark port regarding innovation, technology and sustainability. “Owing to its privileged location in the Gulf of Mexico, the Alvarado Port provides cutting-edge technology solutions to meet the growing demand for services in the oil and gas industries, strengthening the country’s logistical and seaport network, as well as contributing to sustainable development,” SPV stated. 

The Alvarado Port was planned to strengthen former president Enrique Peña Nieto’s reform to open the energy sector to private players.   

In an interview with MBN, Omar Reyes, CEO, Energia Naviera considered Mexico to have scarce ports compared with the room available on the coast and recommended developing more port infrastructure. He also stressed that it is important to organize Mexican ports and customs with more digital infrastructure.
 

The data used in this article was sourced from:  
Proyectos Mexico, MBN, Forbes,
Photo by:   Natalya Letunova
Fernando Mares Fernando Mares Junior Journalist and Industry Analyst