First Mexican Company to Provide Geoelectric Leak DetectionBy Paloma Duran | Wed, 06/02/2021 - 11:22
GL DETECT is the first Mexican company that provides unique solutions and technologies to verify the tightness of the complete waterproofing system. This allows a better understanding of the state of the geomembrane in its installation and maintenance. It also prevents any type of leakage to protected areas.
GL DETECT has two systems that detect faults or leaks: ARC TEST and BIPOLAR TEST. ARC TEST is used in geomembranes that are not covered by any type of material such as channels and ponds.
In this solution, a probe of the device slides over the surface of the geomembrane and in the event of a leak or failure, a visible and audible signal will identify it. These can be detected even when they are imperceptible to the eye (less than 0.5 mm)
BIPOLAR TEST is for geomembranes covered with solid or liquid material and can be used in an external environment without generating any risk. In this solution, an electronically controlled power difference is applied to the sealing layer above the geomembrane. In the event of a fault, it creates a localized voltage flow that can be detected by sensors on the surface. This is a very attractive solution since it is not necessary to expose the sealing layer to identify faults.
GL DETECT solutions do not damage the geomembrane or put the operator at risk because the equipment works at very low voltage. It also represents an important benefit when detecting faults and leaks, since the economic, social and environmental costs that these problems can cause are very high.
Geoelectric leak detection systems adhere to number 4 of the international code for the management of cyanide that indicates:
- 4.1 Implement management and operation systems designed to protect people's health and the environment.
- 4.2 Have an operating and management system to reduce the use of cyanide and limit its concentration in the treatment tailings.
- 4.3 Have a water management program to prevent accidental leaks.
- 4.4 Implement measures to protect animals against the effects of cyanidation process solutions.
- 4.5 Implement measures to protect fish and wildlife from cyanidation solution spills.
- 4.6 Implement measures to manage leaks from cyanide facilities and protect groundwater.
- 4.7 Provide containment prevention measures for tanks and pipelines.
- 4.8 Implement control procedures to ensure that cyanide facilities are built according to accepted standards and specifications.
- 4.9 Implement monitoring programs to evaluate the effects of cyanide use on wildlife and on the quality of surface and groundwater.
GL DETECT is highly effective in detecting faults in the geomembrane surface, which cannot be achieved by other conventional methods. The equipment has an efficient detection up to 4 m of depth when there is solid material in the geomembrane. Meanwhile, when there is liquid material there is no depth limitation. The equipment does not require prior installation as it is portable and can inspect up to 5,000m2 in 6 hours.
Finally, the company offers Supervision in Waterproofing Projects (SPI) that seek to provide complementary guidance and ensure a correct construction process of a project in order to guarantee its good performance. With this solution, errors are reduced, designs are improved and contracts are supervised to ensure greater quality and efficiency in the construction of the project.
GL DETECT is the first Mexican company to offer this type of service and solutions. One of the most important advantages is that it has an alliance with the equipment manufacturer, which allows GL DETECT to adapt to any need that the mining industry may have.
GL DETECT is a Mexican company that provides solutions to verify the tightness of waterproofing systems and ensure the integrity and good condition of the geomembrane, both in installation and maintenance.