Image credits: GOBMEX
/
News Article

Monetary Prizes for Athletes/Electricity Reform Stands

By Sofía Hanna | Wed, 10/06/2021 - 11:40

Tokyo 2020 athletes. President Andrés Manuel López Obrador presented monetary prizes to Mexican athletes who participated in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games. A total of MX$110.9 million (US$5.3 million) was awarded. “They obtained very good results; we Mexicans are very proud of what our athletes did, the two delegations that participated in the Tokyo Olympics,” said López Obrador.

 

Government sweepstakes. The director of the National Lottery, Margarita González, reported that the federal government had handed over the El Paraíso ranch, owned by drug trafficker Edgar Valdez Villarreal La Barbie, to the winner of the property in the National Lottery (Lotenal) draw on Sept. 15. López Obrador added that the federal government plans to hold another draw at the end of the year for land in Sinaloa that he said was obtained “fraudulently” during Felipe Calderón’s term as president.

 

Electricity reform. López Obrador said that next Monday, Minister of the Interior Adán Augusto López and the energy cabinet would present a detailed report on the proposed electricity reform. He said that all this is being done to strengthen the Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) and have control of prices and avoid affecting users. López Obrador added that with the initiative, CFE will have 54 percent of the market and the remaining 46 percent would be granted to private companies so that there is “real competition.”

 

Voting abroad. López Obrador announced that he would include a simple mechanism to make it easier for Mexicans abroad to vote in his electoral reform initiative. “We are going to propose a simple system so that the majority of our countrymen can participate. They are Mexican, they have their rights. We just have to answer how the procedures will be facilitated and we will take all proposals into account.”

 

 

-----

Click HERE for full transcript in Spanish

The data used in this article was sourced from:  
Gobierno de México
Photo by:   GOBMEX
Sofía Hanna Sofía Hanna Junior Journalist and Industry Analyst