Today’s Information Technologies Are No Longer Just for SupportBy Juan Carlos Ortiz de Montellano | Wed, 06/01/2022 - 11:00
As technology advances and companies begin to adapt to the changes, different departments within organizations have seen a considerable increase in their importance. A good example is the information technology (IT) department. For many years, IT was considered a support area for technological solutions. Today, it is one of the most important areas in a company and plays a strategic role in the decision-making process and in any changes and innovative solutions implemented by every organization.
Benefits of ICTs
The digital transformation in Mexico is unstoppable and it is tied to the arrival of new Information and Communication Technologies (ICT). For example, the internet, connectivity, and the use of increasingly advanced technological devices have generated an evolution in how people interact but, mostly, ICT is still considered a huge challenge for business ecosystems.
Companies should consider the implementation of ICTs as an opportunity to be at the forefront of business, to have the necessary tools to be more efficient and more effective in their processes.
Some of the most important benefits are:
- Improves communication
- Simplifies processes
- Establishes better monitoring and control
- Identifies new business opportunities
- Promotes a more productive organization
- Promotes better decisions inside and outside the organization
How do we transform ourselves into a company that is adapted to technology?
As visionaries, we must bet on emerging technologies in order to offer the best options to our collaborators and clients, and thus promote technological innovation within our organizations.
Methodologies and Standards:
- Incorporate quality standards associated with Information and Communication Technologies that allow continuous improvements to be made in the group's processes
- Coordinate and ensure compliance with government policies and instructions of information and communication technologies
- Evaluate and incorporate new technologies in our companies
- Methodologically and technically guide the identification, development and evaluation of IT projects
- Develop and monitor a departmental development plan
- Analyze, design and develop computer systems required by our organization
- Supervise and participate in the development of computer systems for outside departments
- Supervise and advise on the acquisition and contracting of IT products and services, ensuring their compatibility and technological updating
- Efficiently manage local and extended networks, and telecommunications services of our organizations
- Maintain information security and the communications networks
- Manage hardware and software database services
- Backup information
- Ensure both preventive and corrective maintenance of the organization's hardware and software
- Provide excellent technical support to all users by phone, via email, on site or by employing other means of communication
- Reception, repair and maintenance of hardware failures in servers, computer equipment, printers and overall infrastructure
- Installation of corporate applications to all new or repaired equipment
What changes are coming for IT teams and what is your vision for 2022?
Many IT teams are being strengthened and trained effectively, from the consolidation of interdisciplinary teams willing to focus their efforts, research and innovation for the development of technological processes, to providing excellent customer service and shared knowledge in collaborative spaces by members of the area. As a result, they provide users with the following:
Support services that employ high technology, management and monitoring that provide entities, users or clients quality management, increased efficiency, process alignment through technological infrastructure, as well as a reduction in risks associated with services and corporate brand value.
Complete digital transformations are happening thanks to the role that the information technology department plays within organizations. The opportunity to compete technologically with other organizations worldwide will come if you have a strategic vision for information technologies in addition to providing technological research and innovation capabilities.