Image credits: Calornoticias
/
News Article

US-Mexico Ambassador Confirmed: Ken Salazar

By Cinthya Alaniz Salazar | Mon, 08/16/2021 - 12:02

Ken Salazar, former secretary of the interior, was confirmed by the US Senate as Mexico´s next ambassador.  Salazar will be taking office as relations between Mexico and the US intensify over the address of issues related to the USMCA trade agreement, border security and escalating violence that has plagued the country in recent decades.  

In the coming weeks, Salazar, who has emphasized the importance of protecting US investments in Mexico will participate in high-level economic meetings related to the USMCA agreement. For this reason, his confirmation was celebrated by the American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico (AMCHAM) who viewed the decision as a commitment to continue promoting a comprehensive and collaborative agency with Mexico.

"In the current situation, we trust that Ambassador Salazar's experience on strategic issues such as migration and energy, as well as his desire for dialogue, will allow us to assertively guide the bilateral relationship," AMCHAM said in a statement.

Coincidentally, his nomination follows shortly after a group of bipartisan Texan lawmakers petitioned US President Biden to intervene on the behalf of US energy companies arguing that Mexico had violated the USMCA agreement. So far, despite expressing concern, officials have been careful to sidestep accusations, including US Trade Representative (USTR) Katherine Tai during her visit to Mexico City on the anniversary of the ratification of the USMCA.

As explained by Mexico’s Minister of Economy Tatiana Clouthier, and indicated by President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s recent compromise on his energy bill, which will grant CFE the capacity to produce and distribute 54 percent of the nation´s energy demand, while leaving the remaining 46 percent to the private sector, USMCA energy policy concern is premature given that Mexico is ready to dialogue and or explore other resolution avenues before an appeal.

The data used in this article was sourced from:  
US DOI, AMCHAM
Photo by:   Calornoticias
Cinthya Alaniz Salazar Cinthya Alaniz Salazar Journalist & Industry Analyst